Archive for May, 2010

May 6th, 2010

Great days at Crom Castle Boat House

At Crom Boat House in the early 1900s.The great days of Crom Castle, as a social centre, revolved around the yachting regattas of the Lough Erne Yacht Club. Royalty, Viceroys of Ireland and members of the great families of Ireland and England made Crom their home during August every year.

At Crom Boat House in the early 1900s.The great days of Crom Castle, as a social centre, revolved around the yachting regattas of the Lough Erne Yacht Club. Royalty, Viceroys of Ireland and members of the great families of Ireland and England made Crom their home during August every year.

Crom Bay in the mid 1880s. The large paddle steamer in the foreground is the Eglington and belonged to Lord Erne. The yacht with sails set is Edward Saunderson's cutter Witch, designed and built by her owner at Castle Saunderson.

Crom Bay in the mid 1880s. The large paddle steamer in the foreground is the Eglington and belonged to Lord Erne. The yacht with sails set is Edward Saunderson's cutter Witch, designed and built by her owner at Castle Saunderson.

May 6th, 2010

Meteor in Crom Bay

Meteor

The 2-Rater Meteor rounding Church Point in Crom Bay. Typical of the large centre-board cutters designed and built on Lough Erne in the 1880s, Meteor was a very successful yacht winning many prizes for her first owner and designer Lt. H. Gartside Tipping RN. She was built in 1889 by master yacht and boat builder Charles McCabe at the owners home Rossferry, a few miles to the west of Crom Castle.

May 6th, 2010

Classic Boat Day at Lough Erne Yacht Club – 6 June

John Suitor, owner of Zephyr, the latest Fairy Class yacht to be restored

John Suitor, owner of Zephyr, the latest Fairy Class yacht to be restored

This year our Classic Boat Day coincides with the anniversary of the first in a series of races between yachts belonging to the Fairy Class. These historic races took place on 6 June 1906 and 104 years later four of the original fleet of eleven yachts will once again take part in a series of races to mark this anniversary.

The fleet, far from reducing in size, is gaining new members with two more Fairy Class yachts under restoration, one to re-enter racing this year and a second boat next season.

Anyone owning a classic wooden yacht or sailing boat is welcome to join in the activities at LEYC. For more information please contact Fred Ternan on 028-6862-1666 or e-mail: fredternan@btinternet.com

Schedule of Races:

  • Race One – 11.30 Hrs.
  • Luncheon in LEYC Club House followed by Presentation – 13.00 Hrs.
  • Race Two followed immediately by Race Three – 14.30 Hrs.
  • Afternoon Tea and Prize Giving in LEYC Club House – 16.00 Hrs.
  • Luncheon Menu

    Roast Stuffed Chicken and Bacon
    Sheperd’s Pie
    Carrots and Parsnips
    Cauliflower Mornay
    Cabbage with Bacon
    Creamed Potatoes
    Roasted Potatoes
    Tea and Coffee

    £8 per person

    May 5th, 2010

    Fairy Class Restoration Update

    Fairy Class Restoration – Update May 2010
    STORM – Sail No. 1
    Storm is ready to re-enter class racing after her spring refit.
    ZEPHYR – Sail No. 2
    The restoration of Zephyr was completed at the end of April and she is now rigged and ready to enter class racing.
    PASTIME – Sail No. 4
    Saturday, 22 November 2008 saw the hanger cleared and Pastimeʼs mast stepped and her being moved into position for the start of restoration. The long term plan is to build a workshop unit around the hull and workbench along the back wall. The unit will be secure and hopefully with the addition of a temporary roof this will retain some heat during the winter months.
    MAEVE – Sail No. 5
    Maeve is ready to re-enter class racing after her spring refit.
    DOREEN – Sail No. 6
    Doreen is now jointly owned by Paul Louden-Brown and new LECYA member Terry Archer. She does require complete restoration, but for this season her standing rigging will be replaced ready for her to re-enter class racing at the end of May. The long term plan is for her to be restored once work on Petrel (Sail No. 12) has been completed.
    IRIS – Sail No. 7
    As with Sail 4, Iris was also repositioned in readiness for work to begin.
    PAXIE – Sail No. 8
    Paxie will require a considerable amount of work; the first task has been completed as she was wheeled out of position and reposition alongside the other Fairy Class boats at the rear of the hanger
    CYGNET – Sail No. 10
    Fred Ternan and his brother George have almost completed the rebuilding of Cygnet. She will re-enter class racing this Summer.
    SNIPE – Sail No. 11
    A new owner has been found for Snipe and it is hoped that restoration work will begin shortly.
    PETREL – Sail No. 12
    All twenty-six frames, stem, horn timber, stern frame and big knee have been replaced. Several sections of planking have been replaced and Petrel is almost ready for her new keelson to be replaced. Restoration Work is planned for completion by Spring 2011.
    May 5th, 2010

    Lough Erne Yachting Heritage: Your Help Requested

    Paul Louden-Brown would like to hear from any member with pictures, ephemera or any other items connected with the history and development of yacht building and racing on Lough Erne pre-1939.
    Email Paul here

    12345

    Archives