Archive for ‘History’

May 6th, 2010

Great days at Crom Castle Boat House

At Crom Boat House in the early 1900s.The great days of Crom Castle, as a social centre, revolved around the yachting regattas of the Lough Erne Yacht Club. Royalty, Viceroys of Ireland and members of the great families of Ireland and England made Crom their home during August every year.

At Crom Boat House in the early 1900s.The great days of Crom Castle, as a social centre, revolved around the yachting regattas of the Lough Erne Yacht Club. Royalty, Viceroys of Ireland and members of the great families of Ireland and England made Crom their home during August every year.

Crom Bay in the mid 1880s. The large paddle steamer in the foreground is the Eglington and belonged to Lord Erne. The yacht with sails set is Edward Saunderson's cutter Witch, designed and built by her owner at Castle Saunderson.

Crom Bay in the mid 1880s. The large paddle steamer in the foreground is the Eglington and belonged to Lord Erne. The yacht with sails set is Edward Saunderson's cutter Witch, designed and built by her owner at Castle Saunderson.

May 6th, 2010

Meteor in Crom Bay

Meteor

The 2-Rater Meteor rounding Church Point in Crom Bay. Typical of the large centre-board cutters designed and built on Lough Erne in the 1880s, Meteor was a very successful yacht winning many prizes for her first owner and designer Lt. H. Gartside Tipping RN. She was built in 1889 by master yacht and boat builder Charles McCabe at the owners home Rossferry, a few miles to the west of Crom Castle.

May 6th, 2010

Classic Boat Day at Lough Erne Yacht Club – 6 June

John Suitor, owner of Zephyr, the latest Fairy Class yacht to be restored

John Suitor, owner of Zephyr, the latest Fairy Class yacht to be restored

This year our Classic Boat Day coincides with the anniversary of the first in a series of races between yachts belonging to the Fairy Class. These historic races took place on 6 June 1906 and 104 years later four of the original fleet of eleven yachts will once again take part in a series of races to mark this anniversary.

The fleet, far from reducing in size, is gaining new members with two more Fairy Class yachts under restoration, one to re-enter racing this year and a second boat next season.

Anyone owning a classic wooden yacht or sailing boat is welcome to join in the activities at LEYC. For more information please contact Fred Ternan on 028-6862-1666 or e-mail: fredternan@btinternet.com

Schedule of Races:

  • Race One – 11.30 Hrs.
  • Luncheon in LEYC Club House followed by Presentation – 13.00 Hrs.
  • Race Two followed immediately by Race Three – 14.30 Hrs.
  • Afternoon Tea and Prize Giving in LEYC Club House – 16.00 Hrs.
  • Luncheon Menu

    Roast Stuffed Chicken and Bacon
    Sheperd’s Pie
    Carrots and Parsnips
    Cauliflower Mornay
    Cabbage with Bacon
    Creamed Potatoes
    Roasted Potatoes
    Tea and Coffee

    £8 per person

    May 5th, 2010

    Lough Erne Yachting Heritage: Your Help Requested

    Paul Louden-Brown would like to hear from any member with pictures, ephemera or any other items connected with the history and development of yacht building and racing on Lough Erne pre-1939.
    Email Paul here
    May 5th, 2010

    Antwepia


    25th anniversary medal struck to celebrate the founding, in 1889, of the Royal Yacht Club de Belgique. The yacht featured is the 8-Metre Class Antwepia, designed by Linton Hope and built by Borwick & Sons of Bowness, Windermere in 1911

    25th anniversary medal struck to celebrate the founding, in 1889, of the Royal Yacht Club de Belgique. The yacht featured is the 8-Metre Class Antwepia, designed by Linton Hope and built by Borwick & Sons of Bowness, Windermere in 1911


    12345

    Archives