Posts tagged ‘Fairy Class’

May 6th, 2010

Classic Boat Day at Lough Erne Yacht Club – 6 June

John Suitor, owner of Zephyr, the latest Fairy Class yacht to be restored

John Suitor, owner of Zephyr, the latest Fairy Class yacht to be restored

This year our Classic Boat Day coincides with the anniversary of the first in a series of races between yachts belonging to the Fairy Class. These historic races took place on 6 June 1906 and 104 years later four of the original fleet of eleven yachts will once again take part in a series of races to mark this anniversary.

The fleet, far from reducing in size, is gaining new members with two more Fairy Class yachts under restoration, one to re-enter racing this year and a second boat next season.

Anyone owning a classic wooden yacht or sailing boat is welcome to join in the activities at LEYC. For more information please contact Fred Ternan on 028-6862-1666 or e-mail: fredternan@btinternet.com

Schedule of Races:

  • Race One – 11.30 Hrs.
  • Luncheon in LEYC Club House followed by Presentation – 13.00 Hrs.
  • Race Two followed immediately by Race Three – 14.30 Hrs.
  • Afternoon Tea and Prize Giving in LEYC Club House – 16.00 Hrs.
  • Luncheon Menu

    Roast Stuffed Chicken and Bacon
    Sheperd’s Pie
    Carrots and Parsnips
    Cauliflower Mornay
    Cabbage with Bacon
    Creamed Potatoes
    Roasted Potatoes
    Tea and Coffee

    £8 per person

    May 5th, 2010

    Fairy Class Restoration Update

    Fairy Class Restoration – Update May 2010
    STORM – Sail No. 1
    Storm is ready to re-enter class racing after her spring refit.
    ZEPHYR – Sail No. 2
    The restoration of Zephyr was completed at the end of April and she is now rigged and ready to enter class racing.
    PASTIME – Sail No. 4
    Saturday, 22 November 2008 saw the hanger cleared and Pastimeʼs mast stepped and her being moved into position for the start of restoration. The long term plan is to build a workshop unit around the hull and workbench along the back wall. The unit will be secure and hopefully with the addition of a temporary roof this will retain some heat during the winter months.
    MAEVE – Sail No. 5
    Maeve is ready to re-enter class racing after her spring refit.
    DOREEN – Sail No. 6
    Doreen is now jointly owned by Paul Louden-Brown and new LECYA member Terry Archer. She does require complete restoration, but for this season her standing rigging will be replaced ready for her to re-enter class racing at the end of May. The long term plan is for her to be restored once work on Petrel (Sail No. 12) has been completed.
    IRIS – Sail No. 7
    As with Sail 4, Iris was also repositioned in readiness for work to begin.
    PAXIE – Sail No. 8
    Paxie will require a considerable amount of work; the first task has been completed as she was wheeled out of position and reposition alongside the other Fairy Class boats at the rear of the hanger
    CYGNET – Sail No. 10
    Fred Ternan and his brother George have almost completed the rebuilding of Cygnet. She will re-enter class racing this Summer.
    SNIPE – Sail No. 11
    A new owner has been found for Snipe and it is hoped that restoration work will begin shortly.
    PETREL – Sail No. 12
    All twenty-six frames, stem, horn timber, stern frame and big knee have been replaced. Several sections of planking have been replaced and Petrel is almost ready for her new keelson to be replaced. Restoration Work is planned for completion by Spring 2011.
    May 5th, 2010

    Fairy Class Yacht Designer, Linton Hope

    Linton Chorley Hope (1863-1920) photographed in 1908 wearing the uniform cap of the Royal Canoe Club

    Linton Chorley Hope (1863-1920) photographed in 1908 wearing the uniform cap of the Royal Canoe Club

    Linton Hope, designer of the Fairy Class yacht, was not only an accomplished and prolific naval architect, but also a highly competitive and successful yachtsman. He was a member of the Institute of Naval Architects and a Consulting Naval Architect to HM The King of the Belgians from 1913. He was a member of the Royal Yacht Club de Belgique and the Royal Canoe Club, of which he was captain for several years. He was also a member of the permanent technical committee of the Boat Racing Association, of which he was a founder member. He was also a founder member of the Royal Motor Yacht Club and the Marine Motor Association.

    His most successful creations were the racing canoes Kismet and Haze. In 1907 he won the Royal Canoe Clubʼs International Trophy for Great Britain in Kismet. This was the first international race of its kind and up to the war the only single–handed sailing race held under international rules, the challengers coming from Belgium, Italy, France, Germany and the US. At his London design office in the Strand, Hope devoted much of his time to the study of hull shape and structure, whether in canoes, yachts or motor launches; his object was always the same, to produce lightweight hulls with great strength. In 1908 Haze was the first of the Hope canoes to show a modern shape with a flattened stern to promote planing and on a reach the whole of her fore-body, back to the mast, would plane out of the water.
    The Admiralty recognized his talents and during the First World War he was made the inspector of seaplane hulls and floats on the staff of the Royal Naval Air Service with the rank of Lieutenant, RNVR. His designs, built by Pemberton- Billing Ltd (later Supermarine Aviation) became commonly known in flying boat circles as ʻLinton Hope Hulls.ʼ Two years after Linton Hopeʼs death, his circular hull section design was still in use, employed this time by R. J. Mitchell in Supermarineʼs high-speed flying boat entry for the 1922 Schneider Trophy air races.

    12345

    Archives